Everything you need to know about about conducting research with participants.

Course-based and research project ethics approvals

All ethics approvals (course-based and research project related) are under the purview of CFREB. An ethics certificate is needed for all in-class projects in-class and research grant-related projects that involve human participants. Please follow these steps to complete your application.

Complete the tutorial

Complete the TCPS 2 Tutorial Course on Research Ethics (CORE) before you submit your ethics application. Save the electronic certificate.

Take the CORE course

Login to IRISS

Login to IRISS and complete the application.

Login to IRISS


Contact the Conjoint Faculties Research Ethics Board.


The Tri-Council consists of Canada's three main research funding agencies

  • The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
  • The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)

  • The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)

For more information, please see:

When do I require ethics approval?

Do you plan to conduct research that involves human subjects?

If so, you are required to seek and receive ethics approval from the appropriate Research Ethics Board/committee before proceeding with your study.

Faculty and graduate research ethics applications

Submit your application to the Conjoint Faculties Research Ethics Board via the Institutional Research Information Support System (IRISS).

For more information, please contact